Friday, July 30, 2010

Running log #1

So my max running distances for the past couple months has been something like this:

3 miles
6 miles
12 miles.

After conditioning my body with a good baseline strength/endurance (3 miles with good old SF hills), my body has been able to hit new milestones pretty easily. I've been doubling my distances, running the new distance a couple times to get my body over the shock, and then doubling my distance again.

And the Vibram 5s were the key to helping me reach this far. When I first hit the 6 mile milestone in regular shoes, my legs developed shin splints on every run after that. So when I switched over to wearing Vibrams, my shin splints went away but I started developing foot pains.

Foot pains are normal with new users of Vibrams because your feet isn't used to being able to flex all of its 26 bones and joints when it wore regular shoes, so it is as if my feet are still babies and learning to walk/run all over again. Every run so far, I've had foot pain in my ball and arch area from the foot springing and flexing (which it doesn't do in normal shoes).

My feet are now my limiting factor and the only obstacle to doubling my distance again. It's difficult though when I have to wear normal shoes most of the week and then only slip on the Vibrams for running. Every first mile, my feet have to relearn the technique all over again but sometimes it decides to sprain itself instead. There have been rare sightings in SF FiDi of businessmen wearing a suit and Vibrams on their way to work, but I think it will take time before I can do that at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment