6 miles.
I went for a 6 mile run yesterday and it was terrible run. My left arch felt sharp pains about every mile, which forced me to walk and stretch out my left foot while ladies ran past me. (Have you ever noticed that when your pride is hurt, nothing else seems to hurt as much?)
I don't know how I ran 12 miles the other week but running 6 miles right now has been a struggle. So far I have three possible culprits and I'm trying to narrow down the source of my pain:
1) Do I need just need to loosen the strap on my Vibrams? I noticed that my feet felt freer to flex when the straps were looser.
2) Is my left foot just weaker and needs time to develop? In that case, I should probably tone down my distances or go back to running on the sand until my left foot becomes stronger.
3) Is it the fact that my left leg is half an inch shorter? I've always had some sort of motion difference with my left foot and it has caused me pain with some other shoes. From talking to the UCSF physical therapist student, my length difference could be the result of a shorter left bone or a misaligned pelvic bone. I will need to measure one day and find out which it is.
In any case, it's been really frustrating running 12 miles once and feeling like a champion the same one time, and not being able to reach that level again. It's even worse because it's not a cardio problem, nor a muscular problem, but a foot problem. So one tendon in my foot is causing me to cut my workouts short and I go home feeling restless and frustrated.
Sunday, August 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment