There are some sports that just doesn't feel natural to your body. Swimming is one of them for me. I don't know if it's nature or nurture, but in the spirit of competition, I'm going to have to drill and train myself to swim better. Our next triathlon is next summer, which is still ten months away. That's plenty of time to dive in and get into swimming shape.
At the pool on Monday, I was winded after two warmup laps. Meanwhile three lanes over, the water polo team was cycling through laps like well... the chain on my bicycle when I climb hills. It's going to be a long ten months.
I did start wearing ear plugs, which drastically improved my comfort level in the water. I am able turn my head and roll my body more without worrying about water entering my ears. And now that I removed every possible excuse for poor technique, it's time to start building proper technique into my muscle memory.
I also started taking cold showers to adapt my body to cold water. Nothing feels as emasculating to a 200 pound guy as hyperventilating and panicking in cold water. Cold showers also have the added benefit of reducing greenhouse gas emissions and reducing your water usage significantly (as you scramble to finish showering).
Swimming goals for myself to accomplished by June:
1) Develop good technique, elbows bent, fingers piercing the water, S-shape underwater.
2) Swim comfortably on the left side.
3) Swim comfortably taking breaths every two strokes.
Laps laps laps!
Wednesday, September 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment